Congratulations, you have passed the necessary exam(s) to certify yourself in an APICS program. You have received your certificate and you can use the program designation on your business card, LinkedIn, etc.
APICS acknowledges that you need to keep yourself up to date and that’s why your certification is only valid for 5 years. After this period, you should have done enough to extend your certification. This is called ‘The APICS Maintenance Program’.
If you don’t want to go through the exams every 5 year, you can just enter this program and show that you have acquired more knowledge over this period. To prolong your certification for another 5 years, you need to obtain 75 maintenance points. If you can prove that you have done enough, APICS will simply prolong your certification for another 5 years by filling in a form and pay a small administrative cost and your good to go!
How do you deserve maintenance points, I hear you ask. Well, here you have a small list that will give you an idea:
- A new APICS certification: 20 points
- Being an APICS member: 6 point/year
- Education in the same field: 1 point per hour followed / 2 points per hour teached
- Participating in webinars, workshops, seminars, etc: 1 point per hour
- Reading books within the subject (200 pages +): 5 points
- Reading articles within the subject: ½ point per article
- Attending the ASCM conference: 8 points per day
- Project Management projects: depending on the number of hours, 2,5 or 10 points
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to get those 75 points. But to give you an idea. Just staying an active member in the APICS family and attending the CIMCIL Symposium every year, will get you 70 points. To qualify, you only need a small training or reading a book in your certification area and you’re there.
So keeping your APICS certification isn’t the most difficult thing to do, and CIMCIL stays at your side for any further inquiries or problems (Contact)
If you want more information on the full program: click here